Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Cherry Cobbler

Today my boss offered me a bag full of cherries she'd picked over the weekend. Knowing that I have never dealt with fresh cherries in cooking, I decided to accept the bag and go home and be adventurous. FYI: Pitting a large zip-top bag full of cherries takes a while. I did feel pretty clever by using a paperclip to deftly (I'm stretching it here...I did get into a rhythm but "deft" may not be the right word...) scoop out the pits. I found that technique in an online search, and it worked great! Unfortunately there were a handful of cherries that were bad (little bugs and brownish stuff inside them). Being a cherry novice, I didn't conclude that the brownish stuff was unfit for consumption until about half-way through the batch. Here (being the conscientious cook that I am) I considered just letting any that were yucky that had already passed through my hands stay, and just chuck any others I found as I continued pitting them... but I didn't. I picked over every single cherry and discarded the brownish buggy ones and at long last was DONE pitting cherries! I had previously found a recipe for a cherry cobbler online and so fell to work making it happen. It ended up I had over twice as many cherries as I needed so I made two cobblers with the idea of giving some away if they turn out well. I have just removed them from the oven - I hope they are tasty, because I had a good time making them!

6 comments:

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Becky -

Ooo, sounds yummy! But I would have washed them and eaten them uncooked. I love cherries.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Becky Lange said...

Hi Susan! It did turn out well! I didn't taste a single one before cooking though :-/
Have a great day!

Karen Lange said...

It was yummy! I may go have some now...

Diane said...

I've made grape pies that are a lot of work, deseeding them. Yummy after though. :O)

Becky Lange said...

Mom - thanks! I got a couple compliments on the batch that I gave away :).

Becky Lange said...

Diane - I have never seen a grape pie! It sounds very interesting. What is the flavor like?