Friday, October 23, 2009

Colorado. 1 of ?

It's time to give a little more attention to my poor blog. I will start my Colorado series tonight! So - we flew out of Cincinnati into Denver on a Saturday and spent the night in Denver. That was fun part number one, and a testimony all in one :-). The first testimony was Mary and I scoring a row of three seats all to ourselves. The whole deal was that she had a standby ticket (which we got at a discount because she has a family member that works for Delta), so we were pretty sure she would get on the proper flights because those flights were not filling quickly, but she wasn't guaranteed any particular seat. It ended up that she was able to speak to the woman at the counter and it worked out that she actually passed up First Class just to be able to sit together (Yay Mary! What a pal!). The uncool thing about that flight was the sickness and nausea I started feeling partway through. I didn't realize that flying on an almost-empty stomach is a no-no. Lesson learned. The really cool thing was that towards the end of the flight I got to thinking what I would do about the way I felt. I just felt bad - I hate the cabin pressure also so it was just a no-fun flight. It was the first time I seriously searched the magazine pouch to see if they still keep barf bags in there. I am not sure at what point I started to think this way, but I guess I was praying and it sort of came to me that God is for me. OK so it sounds like a "duh - hello!!" moment, but you know those times when the same old things strike you in new and incredible ways? I kept thinking "God, you will take care of me, won't you? You will heal me, because You said so, and because I belong to You and You want to take care of me!". I had a great sense of being thought of, cared about, and cared for. We arrive in Denver and get our luggage and all that. I start feeling better. We had some nice cold fresh air waiting for the hotel shuttle - feeling even better. We check in and sort of wind down and settle in at the hotel. Feeling good, tired as expected after getting up early that day, but good. No thanks Mr. Tylenol - hello feeling fine! I know these things never seem earth-shaking when you hear other people explain them. It's just the sweet little inside things that hit the spot. It was God showing Himself faithful and able, and meeting me right where I was. I've struggled a lot and had a lot of fear and hesitation, but oh what a Father I have. What next - oh, the hotel (A Holiday Inn) was super cool. No, really, for a Holiday Inn, it was super cool! It was decorated like a stylish upscale lodge and was pretty much brand spankin' new. Oh and I forgot to mention that I wasn't actually supposed to fly with Mary. She was on a flight around 8pm, I was scheduled around 3pm. Ends up that my first flight (which was connecting in Minneapolis) was so delayed that I would've missed the connection. Next best option? "We have a nonstop flight to Denver tonight at 8 with lots of free seats..." Funny how that worked out. By the way, I jumped ahead a little with the picture. This is on the way from Denver to Pagosa Springs (about a 5-hour drive). Lovely, gorgeous, beautiful...

1 comment:

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Becky -

I love the line about, "the sweet little inside things that hit the spot." :)

Looking forward to more posts on your trip.

Blessings,
Susan